The Top 11 Blog SEO Settings You Need to Know ( Points To Check Before Publishing The content)
Speaking of SEO, we tend to focus only on backlinks and keywords, but before that, your blog must have a structure that is optimized for SEO.
This is because an SEO-friendly blog structure will help you rank better in search engines and get the most out of your link acquisition strategy and keyword optimization.
So, today, I will introduce 11 blog SEO settings that you should do first when you create a blog.
5 points about basic blog settings
When you create a blog, the first thing you should check is whether you have the right site (blog) structure. So check out these 6 points and implement them on your blog if necessary.
1. Have a clear navigation menu
By setting up a navigation menu that connects blog posts and pages, blog readers can quickly reach the content they are looking for. It also helps search engines understand what content is important within your blog.
So, once you’ve created your blog, categorize the topics you’ll cover on your blog and prepare a navigation menu.
2. Keep the hierarchy simple
A simple hierarchical structure for a blog can help improve navigation for visitors and search engine robots (crawlers). A simple hierarchy allows visitors to easily access all pages within the blog with a small number of clicks, making it easier for them to understand their location within the blog. Similarly, a simple hierarchy can make it easier for search engine robots to understand the structure of the entire blog, which can improve the blog’s SEO evaluation.
3. Prepare an XML sitemap for search engines
An XML sitemap is a file that lists all the pages and other content on a website in a structured format. XML sitemaps are used by search engines to discover and index the pages on a website, and they can be especially useful for websites with a large number of pages or content that is not easily discoverable by search engines.
To prepare an XML sitemap for search engines, you can use a tool or plugin that generates an XML sitemap for your website. Some popular options include Google XML Sitemaps for WordPress and XML Sitemap & Google News.
Once you have generated the XML sitemap, you can submit it to search engines through their webmaster tools or by adding it to your website’s robots.txt file. This will allow search engines to discover and index your website’s pages more easily, which can improve your website’s visibility in search results.
4. Make URLs (permalinks) easy to understand
Having a clear and concise URL for your blog can make it easier for search engines to crawl and index your content. On the other hand, long, confusing, and cryptic URLs can be difficult for both users and search engines to understand and navigate. By keeping your URLs simple and descriptive, you can improve the user experience and search engine visibility of your blog. This is one of the important Blog seo settings you should check.
For example, a URL like the one below has no meaning and is difficult to understand.
However, if you use the following URL, both blog readers and search engines will be able to understand the content to some extent just by looking at the URL.
There are three points to note when setting the URL (permalink).
- URLs that contain gibberish strings of characters or numbers, such as: https://www.example.com/a1b2c3d4
- Lazy URLs that don’t provide any information about the content, such as: https://www.example.com/page1.html
- Avoid long URLs like https://www.example.com/category/subcategory/subsubcategory/post-title-with-a-lot-of-words-that-are-difficult-to-remember
Read More : 7 Professional Tips to rank a blog within a month
5. Prepare a 404 error page
Having a 404 error page on your blog can improve the user experience by providing a helpful response when someone accesses a non-existent URL. Here are a few tips to keep in mind when creating a 404 error page:
- Avoid simply displaying the words “not found” or “404” on the page. Instead, try to provide a more helpful and informative message.
- Include links to the top page and popular pages on your blog on the 404 error page to help users find what they are looking for.
- Make sure the 404 error page fits with the design of your blog and is consistent with the rest of your website.
It is also important to set search engine robots (crawlers) not to index the 404 error page, as this can help prevent search engines from indexing broken or non-existent pages on your website. To do this, you can set the server to return a 404 HTTP status code when someone accesses a non-existent URL on your blog.
4 points about basic settings for individual articles
The following four points should always be kept in mind when preparing individual blog posts, rather than the blog as a whole.
6. Create Content that is valued by both readers and search engines
To create high-quality content that is both reader-friendly and search engine-friendly, it is important to master the skill of SEO keyword research. Keyword research involves finding and analyzing the words and phrases that people use when searching for information online. By understanding the keywords that people use, you can create content that addresses their needs and interests and is more likely to rank well in search results.
To develop your keyword research skills, you can try the following:
- Use keyword research tools, such as Google’s Keyword Planner or Ahrefs, to find popular keywords and phrases related to your topic.
- Analyze the search volume, competition, and relevance of different keywords to determine which ones are the best fit for your content.
- Use the keywords you have identified in your content, but be sure to use them naturally and avoid keyword stuffing, as this can hurt your SEO.
By mastering SEO keyword research skills, you can create content that is both informative and useful for your readers and more likely to rank well in search results.
As a result, you can create content that people will appreciate, and the number of visitors to your blog will increase.
Here are six things to keep in mind when creating content.
Look at it when you write your blog posts.
• Minimize the number of grammatical and spelling mistakes
• Create text-rich content : As it stands now, search engines rely heavily on text in determining rankings.
• Categorize your content appropriately : From the beginning, decide which categories your blog will cover, so readers and search engines know which category each article belongs to.
• Don’t create duplicate content on your blog : In other words, keep your blog posts fresh and unique.
• No hidden text or hidden links.
• Avoid Cramming :
it is important to avoid cramming your text with meaningless keywords. Using too many irrelevant keywords in an attempt to manipulate search rankings is known as keyword stuffing, and it can harm the user experience and your website’s SEO.
Search engine robots are designed to spot mechanisms that deceive readers, and they can quickly detect and penalize websites that engage in keyword stuffing.
Therefore, it is important to avoid this practice and instead focus on creating informative and useful content for your readers that naturally includes relevant keywords. By creating content that is valuable to your readers, you can improve your website’s user experience and SEO at the same time
7. Use Heading Tags Properly
Proper use of heading tags can help both readers and search engine robots (crawlers) understand the main points of an article at a glance. Heading tags come in six sizes, ranging from <h1>, which indicates the highest level of importance, to <h6>, which indicates the lowest level of importance.
To use heading tags properly, consider the following tips:
- Use heading tags to organize and structure your content, rather than just for styling purposes.
- Start with <h1> tags for your main headings and use progressively smaller heading tags for subheadings and sub-subheadings.
- Don’t skip heading levels. For example, if you use an <h2> heading, make sure to also use <h3> headings for subheadings within that section.
- Use descriptive and relevant text for your headings, rather than just stuffing them with keywords.
There are three things to keep in mind when using heading tags:
Heading tags are used to organize the structure of an article, not for design purposes. They are used to clarify where one topic ends and the next begins, and they should be used in a logical and hierarchical manner.
It is important not to use heading tags where <strong> tags or other formatting options are more appropriate. Heading tags should be reserved for headings and subheadings, and they should be used to provide structure and organization to your content.
Additionally, it is important to set the heading tag sizes in a logical and consistent manner, with <h1> tags indicating the highest level of importance and <h6> tags indicating the lowest level of importance. Reversing the size order of heading tags can confuse both readers and search engines, so it is important to use them correctly.
8. Insert proper anchor text
Properly using anchor text in your blog can help improve the user experience and search engine visibility of your website. Anchor text is the text between the <a href =”○○○”></a> tags that is used to link to another page or website.
Here are a few tips for inserting anchor text:
- Avoid using anchor text like “click here” that doesn’t provide any information about the linked page.
- Don’t use text that is unrelated to the content of the linked page.
- Do not use the page URL as the anchor text.
- Keep anchor text short and concise.
- Use a format that makes it immediately recognizable as a link, such as underlining or using a different color.
- Pay attention to the anchor text of internal links within your blog to ensure that they are descriptive and relevant.
- Don’t create meaningless links for readers just for the sake of having links.
9. Optimize your image usage
Your blog design is an important part of how your blog is rated, both by readers and search engines.
Here are five things to keep in mind when using images on your blog:
Do not use names like image1.jpg, 1.png, etc. for image file names.
Don’t make image file names extremely long.
If you use the image as a link, set the alt text.
Write alt text concisely.
Don’t use image links in your blog’s navigation menu.
*What is alt text?
Alt text, also known as “alternative text,” is a text description of an image that is displayed in place of the image when it cannot be displayed due to problems such as browser settings. Alt text is an important element that has a similar role as anchor text in providing information about the content of a webpage to both readers and search engines.
Alt text is often used to provide a brief description of an image, and it can be especially useful for users who are unable to see the image due to visual impairments or other reasons. Alt text is also used by search engines to understand the content of a webpage and to improve its ranking in search results.
To add alt text to an image in your blog, you can use the “alt” attribute of the <img> tag. For example: <img src=”image.jpg” alt=”Description of image”>
Two points common to the blog homepage and individual articles
Finally, two points are important for both blog homepages and individual articles.
*If you are using WordPress, you can easily practice the following two points by using All-in-One SEO.
10. Give a proper blog (article) title
The title of a blog post or article is an important element that helps both site visitors and search engines understand the topic of the content. Here are five tips for giving a proper blog title:
- Make sure the title accurately and clearly describes the content of the page.
- Instead of using vague titles like “Untitled” or “Page 1”, try to use a more specific and descriptive title.
- Give each page on your blog a unique and descriptive title.
- Try to keep the title within a reasonable length, ideally less than 32 characters.
- Avoid stuffing unnecessary keywords into the title.
11. Write Meta description That briefly describes the content of your blog
A meta description is a short summary of the content of a webpage that appears in search results. It is an important element that helps both site visitors and search engines understand the topic and purpose of the page. A good meta description should be concise, informative, and relevant to the content of the page. To write a meta description for your blog, you can use the “description” meta tag in the head section of your HTML code. By writing a clear and concise meta description.
In summary, the careful consideration and optimization of blog seo settings is a crucial aspect of running a successful blog. By putting in the effort to fine-tune these settings, bloggers can elevate their online presence and attract a wider audience. From meta titles and descriptions to alt tags and header hierarchies, every little detail counts when it comes to blog seo. So whether you’re a seasoned pro or just starting out in the blogging world, don’t underestimate the power of proper blog seo settings. They could be the key to taking your blog to new heights.